Saturday, October 24, 2015

Rotting bananas and rainy days


 

A Saturday forecast of rain all day calls for some warm banana bread!! Sometimes I think my husband purposely doesn’t eat all of the bananas just so I will make it for him. I don’t mind really, I grew up making it with my mom almost every month and it’s such an easy recipe! It has become easier now that I have my amazing kitchen aide mixer, I really don’t know how I baked so much before this thing!




First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees then get out all of your ingredients and measure them out. The best part about this recipe is that you probably already have all of the ingredients right in your pantry! (1 c. sugar, 2 c. flour, ½ c. butter or shortening, 2 eggs, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt and 4 regular sized bananas (you want them to be brown and on the verge of being thrown away!)  



Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. (I use the microwave and soften the butter first, about 20 second should do the trick) Then add in the 2 eggs that are already beaten.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl. I usually just do this while my kitchen aide is creaming the butter and sugar together- like I said, how did I bake before this??

Mash up the bananas on a plate or in a bowl.



Add the dry ingredients in to the butter, sugar and egg mixture gradually. I use my shield for this step. You can get one, here. I love it!!

Once they are mixed together, add the bananas in and mix until everything is well blended. *It will be a little lumpy because of the bananas, that’s okay*

Sometimes I like to add walnuts or chocolate chips to spice it up a bit, I didn’t have any today but you can get as creative as you wish!

Grease your pans, I use one muffin tin and one loaf pan. You can mix it up however you want. One heaping spoonful is plenty for each muffin section and then just pour the remaining mixture into the loaf pan.




Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. If you do the muffin tin and the loaf pan at the same time- the muffins typically only take 20 minutes and then the loaf takes about 40 minutes total. 





*This recipe makes two loaves of bread or one loaf and one pan of muffins. I like to do the mixture of muffins and a loaf and keep the loaf at home and bring the muffins to work and share the yumminess with my co-workers.

Banana Bread Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or shortening
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 brown bananas 

Cream butter (softened) and sugar
Add beaten eggs
Add dry ingredients gradually (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt)
Add mashed bananas
Place in greased muffin pan and/or bread loaf pan
Bake for 20-40 minutes at 350 degrees (muffins take about 20 minutes and bread loaves take around 40 minutes)
Let cool before slicing
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment